My Saline Infusion Sonography Experience

Back in December, I was diagnosed with Abnormal Uterine Bleeding (AUB). I was having heavy menstrual bleeding since September and was already suffering from anemia. The anemia was so bad that I fainted during Sunday service. I was first given medication to stop the bleeding and iron supplements so my body could catch up on my lack of hemoglobin. Once the bleeding stopped, my OB-Sonologist did a transvaginal ultrasound on me and found that, aside from having an endometrium that thickened to thrice the normal, I have also have a polyp in my uterus. She advised that I undergo Dilation and Curettage (D & C) or raspa as soon as possible. Otherwise, I will have another heavy and long bleeding episode on my next cycle. This bleeding episode is not new to me at all. The last time I experienced this was six months after I gave birth to Ralph and that was 15 years ago. I also had to undergo D & C for that.

So in preparation for the coming operation, I became busy this week with medical tests as clearance requirements. I had blood chemistry tests and urinalysis done. I also had to visit my cardiologist for a cardiopulmonary check. Lastly, I had the Saline Infusion Sonogram (SIS) yesterday at the Medical City. The scan should be done on the 7th-8th day of the menstrual cycle and yesterday was my 8th which was just perfect. I called the hospital a few days ago to set an appointment

SIS (also known as Saline Sonohysterogram) gives the doctor a clearer view of the uterus which is very helpful in confirming the presence of polyps and fibroids. The procedure is very similar to the regular transvaginal ultrasound except that a catheter is inserted into the vaginal canal to inject the saline solution to the uterus. I was told to empty my bladder first, remove my undies, and wear a hospital gown, before lying down. Then my doctor carefully opened me with a speculum (a clamp-like instrument that's also used during pap smear) and inserted the tube into the canal and the uterus. The saline solution was injected through that tube.

All throughout the procedure, my doctor was explaining what I would most probably feel or what it is for so I was very relaxed. It wasn't painful at all and I busied myself watching the sonogram from the monitor in front of me. I was also lucky that a fellow doctor was doing a study and she had a special transducer (the long tube-like instrument inserted during a transvaginal ultrasound) that provides 4d imaging. That's when my doctor confirmed that I really had a polyp at the rear area of my uterus. I saw it, too, thanks to the 4d thingamajig!

The entire procedure took around thirty minutes including the preparations. The scan was actually around five minutes or so. Then I had to wait for another 15 minutes for the result. That's when I experienced heavy cramps, more like labor cramps. I was told to expect that because the saline dilates the uterus and cervix. I also wore a sanitary pad when I dressed up after because I was told the saline solution would drip out of me. It did and it was bloody. Probably because my uterine wall was still thick.

I'm still waiting for my clearance from my cardiologist because my ECG and 2D Echo results are still not released. After that, my OB and I will schedule the raspa. I hope you can pray with me for my successful operation. I'll post updates after that. Until then, please bear with me as I take an unofficial leave of absence from writing.


Post a Comment

My Instagram

Copyright © The 24-Hour Mommy. Made with by OddThemes